Amsterdam Online Travel Resources roots go back to a… hmm… somewhat smelly problem. Into our second week in the Dutch capital, we run out of clean clothes. A task of finding a laundromat suddenly became a number one priority. Naturally, Google came to the rescue.
You know how it goes: one link after another, I got a few ideas for where to eat, how to use public transportation and even how to find a doctor. Alas, Amsterdam Online Travel Resources was born. By the way, online refers to the fact that all listed services have websites where the curious visitor can find more information.
Below, are a few helpful links to make your visit to Amsterdam or trip to the Netherlands less stressful. If you know any other useful resources, drop us a note or comment below. We will review and add them here too. Happy travels!
Netherlands Travel Resources » General info
- You and the Netherlands – a very useful website maintained by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Wikitravel Guide to the Netherlands
- The Netherlands in the EU
- Main English-language News website for the Dutch government, including a daily E-zine
- The Netherlands from the CIA’s World Factbook
- Fun Facts about the Netherlands
- 30 Interesting Facts about the Netherlands
- Brief History of the Netherlands from Netherlands Tourism (an unofficial travel guide)
- Emergency Contacts
Netherlands Travel Resources » Visa Info
- Which visa do I need to travel to the Netherlands?
- Government of the Netherlands
- The Netherlands Schengen Visa Application Requirements
- Netherlands Immigration – Visa Information
- Residence and Work Permits – from the US Embassy website
Netherlands Travel Resources » Communications (Prepaid Sim Cards, etc)
Netherlands and Amsterdam Travel Resources » Transportation
- All About Traveling by Train: Tickets, Pricing, etc
- Maps, Schedules and Fares for over 50 different train companies across Europe
- Eurail (aka Eurorail) is the European train experience that lets you discover destination with a single rail pass
- Rail the Trails – a guide to rail travel in the Netherlands
- Luggage Lockers and Bag Storage from Rail The Trails
- Find and Book Ferries to Holland
Netherlands and Amsterdam Travel Resources » Health & Medical
- Emergency numbers in Netherlands from IAmExpat.com
- How to find a doctor in Amsterdam from EasyExpat.com
- Expat Medical Centre – medical service in your language
- ZorgkaartNederland – local doctor search (in Dutch)
Netherlands Travel Resources » Where to eat
- IENS – the largest online restaurant review guide in the Netherlands. Generally, more than four thousand of new reviews added every week
Netherlands Travel Resources » Tourism & Sightseeing
- The Official Website of the Netherlands Board of Tourism and Conventions
- Netherlands Tourism – an unofficial travel guide to the Netherlands run by Jan M.
- Top 10 Cities to Visit in the Netherlands by Train
- Buy Attractions and Excursions Discount Tickets Online and skip the long waiting line
- Top 10 cities to see in the Netherlands – from The River Cruise Line. The Netherlands is the perfect place to enjoy a river cruise. In this article, they list their choice of top cities to visit on a trip to the country
Amsterdam Travel Resources » General Info
- Amsterdam.info – tourist information, travel guide. Tons of helpful information about Amsterdam
- I amsterdam – your guide to visit, enjoy, live, work & invest in Amsterdam
- Travel tips and advice from Traveling Bytes
Amsterdam Travel Resources » Tourism & Sightseeing
- Interactive Street Map of Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Holland Pass (aka Holland Pass) offers free tickets and discounts on admission to over 100 museum and tourist attractions in Amsterdam and major cities of the Netherlands
- Amsterdam attractions and excursions tickets online
- I amsterdam City Card (previously known as the Amsterdam Pass), a discount card, which gives free access to several Amsterdam museums, free ticket on public transport within the city, free canal cruise, and several other gifts and offers
Amsterdam Travel Resources » Transportation
- Schiphol Airport
- Train from Schiphol to Amsterdam (Airport transfer Schiphol – Amsterdam (and back))
- Overview of transportation options in Amsterdam
- GVB, the Amsterdam Public Transportation Authority
- OV-chipcard Info
- OV-chipkaart (travel ticket)
- Trip Planner (public transportation)
- FlixBus – bus service offering connections to and from Amsterdam as well as around Europe. Affordable and convenient alternative to train travel
- 9292 – a real-time source of travel information for public transport for all kinds of passengers. They bring all information from all transport companies together in a user-friendly way
- Amsterdam Taxis (general info + list of mobile apps and taxi companies)
- myDriver – Schiphol Airport (AMS) affordable airport transfer
- Suntransfers – Amsterdam Airport (AMS) Transfers (private door-to-door transfers to and from Amsterdam airport)
Amsterdam Travel Resources » Where to eat
- Café-Restaurant Amsterdam – our favorite place to eat in Amsterdam
- Moeders (Mothers) Restaurant
- Restaurant Recommendations by The Amsterdam’s Foodie
- Amsterdam Restaurants from Amsterdam.info
- IENS – the largest online restaurant review guide in the Netherlands with more than four thousand of new reviews added every week
Amsterdam Travel Resources » Laundry services
- Dobbi – running out of clean clothes? They pick up and deliver at home, office or hotel.
- Powders Launderette – the name says it all.
Amsterdam Travel Resources » News & Culture
- Dutch News – daily news from The Netherlands in English
- Dutch Daily News
- NL Times
- Netherlands Newspapers
Published January 2015. Last updated February 2019.
Share this article on Pinterest by clicking Save button
4 thoughts on “Netherlands and Amsterdam: Online Travel Resources”
This is a great resource! Thank you.
Thank you, Arnie :). I am glad that you find it helpful.
For all restaurants in the Netherlands check the special tripadvisor site http://en.iens.nl/
Thank you for the link, Natascha. Great suggestion 🙂