The best way to travel from Jerez De La Frontera to Barcelona is by plane. Wrong! The quickest – yes, but if you are a curious traveler on a hunt of real Spain with a day to spare, driving is what you need.
Here are the 5 reasons for crossing Spain in a car:
- measure the sheer size of Spain. In comparison with some other European countries, it looks impressive on a map, but you would get much more acute understanding after 12 hours on the road.
- discover and appreciate vast and ever-changing nature of this country: from sunny beaches, to sunflower fields, to endless olive orchards, to desolate bareness, to mighty mountain ranges, to… sunny beaches again.
- taste freshly squeezed olive oil. We all are very familiar with it, right? Eating, cooking – it’s always there. However, trust me, you would never forget the fragrant taste of the olive oil that was made just days ago.
- taste local food in tiny restaurants next to the olive oil plants, and not the huge, industrial-strength one, but a family business one. I am salivating just from memories of freshly baked bread dipped in that oil or the best red pepper salad I ever ate.
- last, but not least, escape the crowds of tourist traps and “must visit” places. Spain is much more than that. The rugged beauty is well hidden of the beaten path, so it’s up to you to discover it.
Enjoy the ride!
Our trip from Jerez De La Frontera to Barcelona (1100 km in 12 hours) in photos: